If you didn’t know it I was born and raised in Southwest Arkansas, Texarkana, AR to be exact. That’s right on the border of Texas and about 30 minutes north of Louisiana. Way down south, y’all. The area I am from is also called the ArkLaTex as in Arkansas-Louisiana-Texas. See: Tex-Ark-Ana. Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana. Alright, that’s enough city name breakdown. I lived in this area for 18 years, moving away after graduating high school. So, you could say I know a thing or two about what to do for fun around these parts! Read below for some southern adventures.
- Stand in Two States at Once Texarkana: Head down to the post office in Texarkana and find the Texas/Arkansas sign. Put one foot in Texas, and put the other foot in Arkansas. Now you can say you’ve stood in two states at once!
2. See a show at Perot Theater Texarkana, TX: The Perot Theater is this beautiful old theater in downtown Texarkana. It’s very historic and is a must see for aesthetic lovers!
3. Daisy State Park Kirby, AR: When I was a kid we had a speed boat and would frequent this park often for tubing on the lake!
4. DeGray Lake Resort State Park Arkadelphia, AR: This is another great spot for boating and camping!
5. Texas vs. Arkansas Game Texarkana: Because Texarkana is a twin city of Texas and Arkansas, the two main highschools are huge rivals! At the start of football season, there is a game held between Texas High and Arkansas High and the host switches between the two schools every year. The whole city shows up to support their state and it’s a lot of fun!
6. Crater of Diamonds State Park Murfreesboro, AR: Arkansas is the only state in the whole country that you can dig for diamonds how cool is that?! You can go to this state park, bring a shovel, and dig all day in the fields. Anything you find-you keep! Maybe you will strike out-maybe you will hit the jackpot!
7. Nix Creek Trail Texarkana, AR: There is a nice walking and biking trail that runs through part of Texarkana. It’s a great way to enjoy nature in this small city.
8. Find the Dr. Pepper Mural Texarkana: Head downtown to spot this mural and snap a pic for the ‘gram.
9. Explore Downtown Texarkana: Downtown Texarkana has so many cute and vintage shops, it’s like stepping back in time. Take some time to spend an afternoon here exploring.
Where to Eat in Texarkana:
- Southern Tropics: This is THE BEST shaved ice in the world! Ok maybe not in the whole world but it is damn good let me tell you! The texture, the taste, gah all of it comes together so deliciously.
- Zapatas: This is the best Mexican food you’ll find in the area. Their margs are top notch, too!
- McAlister’s: A yummy deli spot. I’m a sucker for their spuds. I am not a sweet tea drinker but I hear it is out of this world!
- Old Tyme Burger Shoppe: I’m a burger-and-fry girl all the way and this place hits the spot with their grub.
- Taco Tico: This is Mexican fast food at it’s finest, y’all.
- Potato Patch: Another great spot for some big ole spuds.
- Catfish King: I could eat fried catfish everyday, and I would eat her everyday if I still lived in the area.
- Whataburger: One of the best fast food chains in America-you can’t miss trying this pace!
I hope you have fun on your adventures in Southwest Arkansas and stay cool in that heat!