Niagara Falls State Park in Niagara Falls, NY is a must to visit in the states! It was so amazing and was high on my ‘want to visit’ for a long time. I actually lived in New York state for a year, but never got to visit the Falls. This was truly an unforgettable experience and I urge you to go! As this is a very popular destination that attract a lot of people- here are my tips and advice to make note of before visiting if you’ve never been. Read on!
- The lines are long to get in, but they move fast. Don’t let the lengthy lines deter you from visiting as they move along very well. This whole place is very organized and fluid. You can purchase tickets ahead of time, or you can buy them right at the ticket booth. We opted for the latter, and got right in without having to wait long AND we visited in August-a prime traveling and tourist time of the year.
- You’ll see plenty of awesome views if you stay on the US side. No need to drive over to the Canadian side unless you really want to. There’s a lot of argument on this subject, but the Falls are the Falls, and while I’ve only been on the US side, we certainly saw all that we wanted to see staying in the states.
3. Go on the Maid of the Mist! If you’re a fan of The Office, then you know The Maid of the Mist is a 2 level boat you can board with several other people to get closer to the Falls right on the Niagara River. It’s awesome! You will definitely get soaked, but they give you ponchos that sort of help. Head to the top level to really get rained on!
4. Don’t miss the Cave of the Winds, either. I’d say this activity is better than the boat ride but they’re pretty comparable so just do both! You will receive another complimentary poncho as well as some water sandals. They take you down a hall and you pop out right on the sides of the cliffs where there are stairs you can walk up and around. This will get you RIGHT near (and underneath) the enormous waterfalls! Catch some rainbows while you’re there to really get the full experience of feeling like a kid again.
5. Beware that the distance between the entrances of the Maid of the Mist and the Cave of the Winds is kinda far. You will choose a time to attend both of these events so make sure you give yourself time to walk from one side of the park to the other.